Sunday, May 19, 2013

Julie Andrews, Sing-a-longs, and The Ordway: These are a few of my favorite things.

All ready for blogger night. I even got invited
to the Captain's Ball! 
The world-famous Sound of Music Sing-a-long returned to the Ordway Center on Saturday May 18th for two performances only. The show is a screening of the classical Julie Andrew's film, with subtitles and choreography for the audience to dance, interact with and of course, sing-a-long.

But before we get into the actual show experience, let's start at the very beginning, because as Maria once said, it's a very good place to start...

These ladies were fully decked out.
Notice their brown paper package necklaces!
I walked into The Ordway Center on Saturday night not know what to expect. Not only was this to be my first blogging experience, but also my first ever sing-a-long, and I soon discovered, I was not prepared for what the night had to offer. The atmosphere in the lobby was explosive, as guests of all ages crammed in, many dressed in costumes. It warmed my heart to see young girls, ages 5 and up, dressed as little Maria or Gretl, ready to watch a timeless classic. Then there were the adults, some as old as my grandma, who were dressed to the part (many nuns and Maria's) ready to watch a movie they have loved decades. Each separate age group reminded me of own childhood, and watching SoM with my grandmother, who first made me fall in love with the story. I was lucky enough to snag some pictures of my favorite costumes, which I have included throughout my blog. I learned later on that there would be a costume contest at intermission, which I thought was a very fun and creative idea.
A nun, Rolf, and Maria. How cute and original! 

As I took my seat on the main floor, I realized right away that this would not be a normal production. I would not sit quietly in my seat while a chorus of talented individuals sang to me from stage. No. This time, it was my turn to put on the show, along with the close-to-sold-
 out audience. In addition, every member of the audience received "goodie bags" filled with SoM appropriate items that would be used throughout the production. This was such an innovative and creative idea--it kept the audience engaged and on the edge of our seats (especially for the youngsters, whom I was worried about falling asleep during the 3 hour movie).

While the audience waited excitedly for the show to start, we were introduced to our M.C. for the night (who was dressed appropriately for the role), Erin Schwab. I have heard it said that a good M.C. really makes a production, and I know now that this is entirely true. Erin was a blessing, and set the mood and tone for the rest of the night. She was outgoing, bubbly and enthusiastic and she encouraged involvement throughout the movie. She instructed us through our "goodie bags" as well as warm-ups and choreography for the production. She made me laugh and without her, I think the production would have been less than spectacular.
The ladies in front of me at the show. Their family made these
shirts together! 

Nuns and Maria. These were my favorite! 
We all know how the rest of the night went: beautiful operatic singing from Julie, a handsome Captain and adorable an Gretl showing us her hurt finger. It was such a wonderful experience to watch a movie I have loved for over 15 years gain a new life in that theater. Never before have I sang lounder to "Do Re Mi" or "So long, farewell," nor shouted at the screen more when the Baroness appeared. It is easy to say that if you missed this experience, you lost out on a terrific Saturday night. I encourage you to attend one, whether it be Sound of Music or not, in the near future. And bring those you love: it is a joy to watch their faces light up at a new
experience.

Even if you did miss out on this, don't fret! There are so many more Ordway experiences coming up:
2013 International Children's Festival
Make sure to get tickets at www.ordway.org or by calling 651-224-4222

No comments:

Post a Comment