Friday, June 14, 2013

Oh boy, Buddy! The Buddy Holly Story visits St. Paul

The Ordway Center for Performing Arts welcomed Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story to it's stage this week, June 11th-16th. The story follows the life and quick success of Buddy Holly, and included many popular songs such as "That'll Be the Day", "Peggy Sue" and "Oh Boy." To say the show did Buddy and his memorable life justice would be an understatement.

Buddy Holly. Photo courtesy of Google. 
Buddy has been seen by millions of fans in fifteen countries all over the world, and premiered in London's West End in 1989. In 1990, a Broadway production opened and in all, the production includes over 20 songs. In other words, it's been a huge hit.

The Buddy Holly Story. Photo courtesy
of The Ordway. 
When I had first heard this show was coming to the Ordway, I was ecstatic. I have grown up a fan of the 50's and of artists such as Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and of course, Buddy Holly. I knew I had to see it, but was worried how a show about such an iconic rock and roll artist would play out. Would they do him and his short, but very popular career, justice? I soon found out that it would not only tell his story, but transport us as the audience back to the 50's to an ACTUAL Buddy Holly concert, complete with signature Buddy Holly black-framed glasses.  

Although I had no idea what to expect (which is true of most musicals or shows, unless you are a die-hard fan) I knew the story of Buddy: a determined, talented individual who made a quick rise to fame and was killed at 22, the same age as me. Although he changed the face of Rock and Roll music forever, it is hard to think about someone so young having his life taken from him. I was impressed at how well the show focused on Buddy and his strong-willed determination, rather than his death. I was happy that they decided to focus on his successes and his impact on the world, and the joy he brought to music and artists for generation. 


The Buddy Holly Story. Photo courtesy
of The Ordway. 
The neat thing about this musical is that I felt like I was actually at a concert. I was transported back in time to Clear Lake Iowa, where Buddy played his last show, and I had the opportunity to dance and sing-a-long to his popular favorites as well as songs by The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens. Many audience members around me danced and sang to their favorites, and I was surprised at how many songs I actually knew. Not only that, but the actor playing Buddy, Kurt Jenkins, was talented beyond words and if I had not known he was acting, I would have thought Buddy was onstage. I can only imagine the work and preparation he had to do to dance, walk, talk and of course sing, just like Buddy. What's even more amazing is that he shares this role with another person. Two Buddies, twice the work, twice the fun, both presenting a phenomenal performance.

I had decided to bring my mom to this performance, and she raved about how much of her childhood it brought back. For generations, we have grown up in my family listening to Buddy, and for my mom, the songs and the story brought up memories of her mother telling her about her love for Buddy and The Crickets. 
My Mom and I at The Buddy Holly
Story. Look at our complimentary Buddy
glasses! 

In the end, I am more than pleased to have seen a musical that showcased one of the greatest rock and roll legends. Although his life was short, he made such an impact the world, even now in 2013, could never forget. Buddy is a story for people of all ages, and we need to embrace musicals that keep Buddy's and other artists memories alive. 

There are still chances to catch Buddy at The Ordway! The show runs through Sunday June 16th and you can purchase tickets online or at the Ordway itself. I wouldn't miss out on this amazing opportunity, you never know when you could see Buddy perform again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment