Friday, April 12, 2013

Big women onstage: bold and boring?


As is my ritual every Tuesday night, tonight I sat down with a glass of wine to enjoy my favorite television show right now: Smash. For those of you who have never seen nor heard of the show, all you need to know is this: the show centers around the process of making a Broadway show—from the writing, to the directing, to the rehearsal and so on, until the opening of the show on Broadway. It focuses on two girls, fighting for the lead role, in this case, the role of Marilyn Monroe. While I love the show for theatre aspects and the snazzy musical numbers, I can’t help but feel a little saddened every time I watch the show. The girls on my TV screen are those who I strive to be, not only because I envy their talent but also because they are both so beautiful.  But week after week as I watch Karen and Ivy fight to be strong woman in the theatre world, I look at myself and can’t help but compare. If two women like this can’t make it (and I’m certain that the show is strongly dramatized and over exaggerated) can I, as a bigger girl succeed in my dream?

I recently read a pretty powerful article featured on the guardian’s website about the role of bigger women onstage. While this was no more than a critic piece, what the author said was inspiring. It spoke to me as a girl who feels hopeful and lost in the world of size 2, blonde actresses. Throughout my college career alone I have been pegged as many things due to my weight: the funny friend, the caring mother, and the bitchy Alpo-eating girlfriend. I see actresses like Melissa McCarthy shine in the comedic roles she is given, always the same. But very little are women like McCarthy recognized because of their true acting talent. Especially in an age demographic of younger people, being overweight is not seen as a positive trait, and if you are lucky enough to make it onstage or in movies, those people fight constantly to break out of it.

So I guess what I’m saying is, who are the true role models in the world of the rich and famous? Should aspiring actors and actresses look up to people like Megan Hilty or Katherine Mcphee, who are both extraordinarily talented (and know it!) but who use the way they look so often in Smash to get ahead? Or should we be looking up to girls who are confident in himself or herself, such as Melissa McCarthy or Octavia Spencer or even Rebel Wilson, who are also talented, and use that to be successful? Not only that, but are shows like this one teaching us that in order to be successful we need to “sleep our way to the top”? As someone who is passionate about theatre, I am also passionate about how to break the stereotypes we are put into, and fighting against this pre-conceived notion of what you need to look like or do in order to get ahead. I hope that when you watch shows that are about sex appeal and the way women look, you realize that this is superficial and not how real life should be. Let’s recognize those for their true talents, no matter the age, or weight. I’m a big actress, and I am proud of it. 

8 comments:

  1. This is an aspet of entertainment that I have not heard of before. The actresses that are real sizes are always the funny characters, and never the leading role. My favorite TV show is Pretty Little Liars, which has all size two actresses. I feel like this trend will make a turn around, since there are steps that have been taken to get real sized people on the screen,so I only see it getting better from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! It is so upsetting that every woman who does not fit a size zero has to play the funny girl or the pretty girl's side kick. The same goes for men as well. The sad thing is that there could be a lot m ore talent in the world if actresses and actors weren't judged by their weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I think is especially sad about this is that "fat" isn't even fat anymore. What is considered to be larger is average, and I don't mean that from a perspective of us being a fat nation I mean size 9-12 is considered big. It's really sad that the standard is so distorted from reality and the lopsided selection of these ultrathin actresses just exacerbates the problem. If you're not below size 4, you're out of shape, not healthy, not attractive. Personally, I'm just a bit over 6 feet tall and I'm thin but if I starved myself to strive to be a size 4 I'd probably hit the limit of my bone structure not allowing any smaller size before I would die of starvation due to this being an impossible standard to hold my body to. And of course, no one should have to loose weight to be attractive and this guise of it being for health reasons really has to stop because it's bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is superficial but I think the unattainable Hollywood standard of beauty is put in place partly because of consumerism. This is what we as viewers are unconsciously addicted to. I think the only way to change this is to be aware and support the actresses like yourself that wish to breakthrough stereotyping. We love to see images that look like "real" women judging by the response to shows like Girls on HBO so maybe we are changing it already.I hope so just because it is boring when the women on screen all look the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Molly! I think that that mentality applies to almost everything -- any career we have, will there be preference given to the typical "thin" woman? I totally agree that by seeing more real women in the media, it will help to make ourselves not feel so inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good topic, Molly! One of my favorite actresses right now is Rebel Wilson. She rocks what shes got, shes sassy, funny and a great actress. I worry though, that her characters will always relate to her weight. Her role as "Fat Amy" in "Pitch Perfect" was funny, but also a stereotype of the "funny fat girl." Same with Rebel's "Bridesmaid's" co-star, Melissa McCartney. Will they always play funny fat women? I guess I have never seen them in serious roles like historical figures ect. I want more bodies portrayed on screen, but I want them also to be considered beautiful, sexy, smart, heros, villains, big and small. We need to shake up stereotypes in hollywood and be more representative in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved Melissa McCarthy since she was Suki on Gilmore Girls. I totally would have watched the show if she had been the main character and Lorelei had been the best friend. But if her weight isn't a story point (a la Mike and Molly), she is cast a the side kick. I really hope we see a character bigger than a size 12 who is just a person, who happens to be bigger than a size 12, who is seen as interesting, attractive, and all the other things we want from a lead character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting blog! This topic is very new to me as I am not very familiar with acting and such but does make a lot of sense to me as I watch many television shows. I find this issue extremely present in marketing as almost every commercial on television has actors that are considered "fit or skinny."

    ReplyDelete