Thursday, October 10, 2013

"Why God, Why" did Miss Saigon end that way?

The Ordway Center for the Performing Arts welcomed the touring cast of Miss Saigon to it's stage this week, October 8th-13th. Despite it's catchy tunes and high-paced dance numbers, the show opened to some heated audience reviews both in and out of the theatre.

As a blogger, I was lucky enough to catch the show on it's opening night, and from the moment I arrived at the theatre, I could tell that the "heat was [definitely] on in Saigon."

As both a theatre scholar and enthusiast, I pride myself on knowing many different plays, musicals and genres. However, going into this show, I knew absolutely nothing about what to expect in regards to content or reviews, and I found that I was surprised in many ways.

Miss Saigon tells the story of a Vietnamese girl named Kim who is struggling to find her place during the Viatnam war. Doing anything to survive, she becomes a sex-slave, where she falls in love with an American G.I. After promising to take her away and save her from this life, Chris is sent back to America to leave Kim to fend for herself. 3 years later, Chris and Kim find each other again, only to discover that a love that once was, can never be again. The story is a testament of hope, survival and through it all overcoming life's struggles no matter how tough they may seem. The show itself has won over 30 major theatre awards, including 3 Tony Awards and 4 Drama Desk Awards, making it a notable show in the theatre world.

The tour itself is very short, stopping in only 4 cities before it makes it's revival debut on London's West End. I think it is important to note that the show is nearly sold out for opening in London, making it a faster seller than most New York Broadway shows, including the Book of Mormon. To stop in a city that has a huge Hmong population is no easy feat, and the welcome the tour received was anything but joyful. There were numerous protesters outside of the Ordway Tuesday night with shirts that read "Miss Saigon Lies" and flyers that adorned a parody of Gone With The Wind, with a heading "Miss Saigon with the Wind." For myself, I could not understand the fuss--to disagree with a show because of it's message and insensitive/racist remarks is to hate all theatre itself. Every show, to me, can be protested and hated upon, but to me, that's the point of theatre- to send a message in a powerful and beautiful way.

I have vowed to not focus on the negativities surrounding the show, but rather the experience I myself had. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I think it is important to point out the technical aspects of the performance.

First, this has to be one of the most aesthetically beautiful shows I have ever seen. From the sets to the costumes, to the extraordinary lights and gobos, the whole show was a true sculpted piece of art. Every little part was carefully thought out to add to the grand scheme and feel of the show. I was shocked at how well all of the elements tied in to give it an oriental feel, with a contemporary twist.

The music was very moving, and in many way resembled that of Les Mis in the style of the songs as well as the way they flowed together. There was minimal dialogue not sung, and I think that it was powerful from an audience perspective. I do have to admit that some songs seem disjointed to me, not having much of a connection to the others, or sticking out like a sore thumb at points in the show. While on their own, many songs such as The American Dream were glitzy and everything a Broadway song should be, I didn't feel the need for it in the show. Because of this, some parts seemed to drag, being filled with "fluff" pieces that could have been taken out for the sake of the show.

My biggest and most notable complaint had to do with the way the show ended. I was baffled at the closure of the show that a script would leave an audience member hanging, unanswered questions in the back of their mind. SPOILER ALERT: Ending a show in a suicide is NOT a proper way to close. Especially when there is no musical accompaniment, or reprise of a song (cough cough, when an actor screams "WHY?" at the end of the show, it usually leads into a reprise of an earlier song by a similar title). Beginning and continuing a curtain call seemed so out of place for me, and I felt as if the show just ran out of time, steam and script....ending us with a quiet, dull stage. This leaves me to wonder if the problem was in the show itself, or a technical problem that comes with opening night. My bet is on the script though, and I suggest to the writers, producers and actors that they should review this ending before opening to sold out crowds in a very short time. It leaves me question, "why god, why" did you end the show this way?

I could go on and on about the show from both an actor, technician and even feminist stand point, but then again, I am not writing a thesis. In the end, the show was not my favorite, but it was not the worst thing I have ever seen (look up Ruthless and then you'll know what I'm talking about...), regardless, I am happy I got to see it. It opened my eyes in many ways as an artist and an 'ignorant' audience member.

Miss Saigon plays at the Ordway theatre until October 13th. Tickets are going fast, but there is still time to pick yours up. It's an educational experience for all, although I would consider it before bringing young ones (there is some graphic visuals and naughty languages for the young ones). After seeing this show, you will understand why "the heat is on in [St. Paul and] Saigon."

No comments:

Post a Comment